Thursday, July 17, 2008

Emmeline Sundress

I've made two prototype sundresses based off the Emmeline Apron. The first (yellow / white one, photos not posted yet) I made from a sheet I bought at Savers thrift store (plenty of fabric for only $3!). It has some issues still, and the halter-top is actually not too comfortable.

The second one (photos posted) I made from nice fabric (from Crafty Planet fabric store, http://www.craftyplanet.com/), and it's more comfortable. But I placed the shoulder straps too far lateral on the back, so they come in too angled on the front. Looks a bit wonky. I added another crossing on the back straps, which I think looks nicer than the single cross on the yellow dress. Neither of the dresses have a zipper. That's why the back straps are helpful - they take in the extra fabric. To make them, I used a basic A-line skirt pattern, but made it about 6 inches taller on the back. Then I connected the skirt directly to the bodice pattern part of the Emmline Apron. I thought about making it reversible, like the aprons, but then remembered my brain is not that advanced.