Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Pants into an outfit

Hello!

I've been looking for a pair of wool shorts, but they are hard to find. I wanted a matching vest, but that's harder to find. So I finally decided to convert a pair of wool pants into shorts / vest. 

The trick is to find wide-legged pants. When I made the shorts, I cut off the pants hem and sewed it onto the bottom of the shorts. 2 benefits: 1. hem instantly done. 2. I love the look of the wider shorts with tighter hem, kind of puffs out the shorts (like bloomers). When trying on the wool pants at the thrift shop, put them on upside-down to see if the hem will fit on your thigh (my pants has to be very wide-legged!)

Paranoid tip: I put all my thrifted stuff into the freezer for a week. Kills off any possible bed bugs!

The rest of the pant legs gave just enough fabric for the vest. I didn't add darts to the vest, big mistake, no room for boobies. The next time I'll make a pattern with princess seams. The "pockets" are fake, just for show.

The liner of the pants work great for lining the vest!

I haven't quite finished this blog post. I still need to add buttons to the vest. And I'll add a couple "before" photos of the pants.

Now I just need slightly warmer weather!